Monday, May 15, 2017

The Post About Miss USA 2017

The Miss USA pageant was last night and I did not watch it. To be perfectly honest, I didn't know that this was happening until I saw a picture of natural haired queen with a crown upon her head. Of course, I was incredibly happy for her because I am a natural haired girl as well. But then she decided to open her mouth and I was not as happy as before.

The contestant for DC is twenty-five-year-old Miss D.C. Kara McCullough. She is a chemist working for the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission. I thought it was so amazing for a black chemist to win Miss USA, but I could not get over what she said.

When asked if she thought if affordable healthcare was a right or a privilege, she said that it was definitely a "privilege". Ms. McCollough said, "As a government employee, I am granted healthcare. And I see firsthand that for one to have healthcare, you need to have jobs. So therefore, we need to continue to cultivate this environment that we’re given the opportunities to have healthcare as well as jobs to all the American citizens worldwide.” She also believes that feminism should transposed to equalism.

Now, honey, you should be glad that there is feminism. Without women pioneering in the name of feminism, you would never have been able to dream of going to school. Nevertheless, being able to be a chemist with your own degree and life outside of having kids and getting married. I think that maybe Miss USA needs to take a social class. 

I am very happy for my natural haired sister, but I find her statements to be...pretty dumb. Healthcare should be a human right for everyone. We all deserve to be able to have access to the treatment we need when we are sick, no matter our economic status. Moreover, for her to say that women are equal, especially in the workplace, is even more sad. Because there are statistically less women in math and science class in college as they are constantly discouraged to pursue those careers from a very young age. Moreover, black women get paid less than white women with the same careers. It disheartening to see a woman of color be blind to what's right in from of her 

No comments:

Post a Comment